Friday, February 6, 2009

2/7/2009: Saturday Morning Rituals

When I was growing up, our Saturday morning ritual was to get up early to the smell of pancakes cooking in the kitchen and the sound of Saturday morning cartoons. Since cartoons are too freaky for even me to watch anymore, we've eliminated that part of the morning, but I still like to cook pancakes for my kids. I have to give a shout-out to my mom for having me purchase a skillet at Makro - it sure makes pancake cooking easier!



This morning I made pancake pancakes, not pancake flapjacks. The difference here is that "pancakes" are made using water rather than milk, which makes them more like crepes. Whereas a flapjack absorbs syrup, a pancake just kind of lays there with syrup floating on top of it. They both are delish in my opinion, and in my children's (How can you go wrong with non-high-fructose-corn-syrup-syrup?).



As a side note, ground coffee is an anomaly here in SA. Everything is instant, which threw me for a loop. I'm used to at least crappy, weak, burnt-tasting American ground coffee. I have to say though, this instant stuff is still better. I was just expecting it to be more European down here in this regard I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. I'm having trouble getting used to the coffee after three weeks of Ricoffy--weird, huh? I'm sure this will pass. As far as pancakes/flapjacks, etc.....it's always nice to have traditions. To quote something I recently read "Every word and deed of a parent is a fiber woven into the character of a child.--David Wilkerson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Saturday morning pancakes!

    ReplyDelete